Commonly, assignments of business communications focus students' attention on four types of learning tasks:
- analyzing and organizing information for ones' self,
- communicating information to an audience in writing, including visual aids,
- generating an entire document in a prescribed format, and
- perhaps, designing and delivering a related oral presentation.
The list below includes a number of different types of business communications that are common for engineers to use as they practice engineering.
Ideas for Technically-based Business Communications
- Executive Summary
- Cover Letter for a Report or Proposal
- Briefing Paper
- Business Plan (for a Project or Start-up Company)
- Consultant's Report to a Client
- Expert Witness's Report
- Test Plan (or Design of Experiment)
Making Scoring/Grading Useful for Assessment